This Goofy Election

6a00d83534ac5b69e2017c32d65646970b

I’m not sure I could come up with a quippy new anything regarding the presidential election of 2016. There have been rants, threats, aggressive tirades; there have been prayer meetings, tearful pleas, and silent protests. And my go-to response for all things contentious and conflicted? To squirm. In silence. Seeking cover and anonymity.

I mentioned before I only write when I feel inspired by God, so imagine my discomfort when for the last couple weeks I haven’t been able to ignore the prompting to write about this election.

Even though I’m in my 50’s and have been voting since I turned 18, I’ve never really prayed about who to vote for. Instead, I went along with my cultural roots, usually being able to align myself with the platforms of the party I have historically sided with. But a few years ago, I felt challenged to start praying about everything. So many decisions we’ve made over seemingly inconsequential things I would have never even considered ‘bothering’ God with (that was my thought process at the time). One day, a pastor I know well said he always lets God choose his cars. I had never considered praying about a car! He said, ‘just think about it ~ God knows the future, He knows the past. I want the car He chooses for me.’ So with that, I decided to start praying about my decisions, declaring no choice too insignificant.

Since the onset of this election process, I was actually thankful that I decided to let God lead me, because if ever I wanted to take the Ostrich approach in choosing a candidate, it was this year. During the state candidate primaries this spring, I felt so strongly that I was to vote for . . .  Donald Trump.

I told my husband I prayed about it and couldn’t shake the feeling I was supposed to vote for him, and he said, ‘well don’t say THAT out loud!’ I was embarrassed, ashamed. Any time I was asked for whom I was voting to become the presidential nominee, it seems like everyone prefaced it by saying, ‘please tell me you’re voting for ANYBODY besides Trump!’ I didn’t want to vote for him.

So I didn’t.

It took about 30 seconds after casting my ballot in the local primaries before I was gripped with regret. I had been asking God to speak to me more, seeking His direction in all things, and I completely let the thoughts and opinions of others sway me in another direction.

So for this presidential election, my decision was made months ago. I can’t say I’m voting for Donald Trump the man. I certainly can’t condone much of what comes out of his mouth. And while I can align myself with where he stands on some of his platform issues, there’s a huge part of me that would love to give him a personality make-over. No, I’m not voting for Donald Trump the man. I figured it out ~ I’m voting for what God wants to do through Donald Trump.

This is the point where I would like to slither out with a ‘k-bye’. I know this is such a polarizing issue, and if you know me at all, you know I never want to be polarizing. If I can leave you with anything, I would ask you, too, to consider requesting that God would help you make your decisions. Not only for your choice in this election, but with anything you ever felt was too inconsequential to involve Him in. There’s nothing too big for Him, and I’m learning there’s nothing too small, either.

Comments

1. Karen says:

Common decency told me not to vote for him. I understand how some people will always vote for the party they associate with, God told me not to vote for him.

2. Kim says:

I think that’s the most important thing, Karen ~ you went with what God told you!

3. private says:
  4. Barbara L. Courtley says:

My Scripture verse in my devotional dated today is: “If my people which are called by my name SHALL HUMBLE themselves and PRAY, and SEEK my face, and TURN from their wicked ways; then will I HEAR from heaven, and WILL FORGIVE their sin, and WILL HEAL their land.” This is what it is all about….. blc

5. Tammy says:

Thank you for the reminder to trust in Him….and not any other small “h” him or her….He is indeed our savior and redeemer and we can trust HIM regardless of how the election turns out. As I read this it gives me a lovely insight into your sweet Jackie who I have have been getting to know through her writing, short visits, FB convos, etc. She comes by her writing skills and authentic faith naturally 😉 Blessings!

6. Julie Schiefer says:

Thank you for writing this. I totally agree with asking God about everything! After praying for awhile about my votes, I too chose Trump, warts and all.

7. Maria says:

I am totally for Trump-I think God showed me the way to vote in more ways than one but my main concern was that I can’t vote for somebody that believes in abortion-that’s a no in my books-do I think Trump is a saint-absolutely not-but I feel he is the best choice for our country at this point

8. private says:

THIS IS HOW HITLER STARTED!!!!

Do you know any of Trumps policies? Do you know who his driving his rhetoric and campaign? Do you trust the 1000’s of Military Leaders & evangelical leaders that think he is dangerous to our republic, obviously not. Do you want this man representing our Great democracy around the world.
    God gives us free will and choice to make decisions based on facts not feelings.

He is fascist, racist, uninformed sexual predator with ties to Russia. I pray for our democracy if he is elected President.
    DONT BE SHEEP BE WISE. The sheep mentality is a threat to our Constitution and democracy.

Dangerous Candidate vs flawed Candidate- obviously you chosen dangerous.

9. Renae keysmtih says:

Having been in Illinois for the primary I didn’t get to vote(home state is TN). I’m here in Tn have voted for Trump and its a great thing to be where you can voice your opinion without reprisal. Had I ever hung a Trump sign in my shop window In Illinois, the windows would have been broken out and the shop burned.

As I thought of those retaliations it dawned on me that the character of the supporters of other candidates were driven by a campaign of hate, but Trumps campaign is driven by hope. The hope of 40 years that unborn children will be cherished once again. The hope of security of our nation, a pride of our people and a celebration of our founding heritage. By far Trump is the only one who really hears what America wants.

10. private says:

Trump supporters, Happy with yourselves??

Conflict of Interests
    Russian Connection
    Arms Race
    Willing to use Nuclear Weapons
    Racists Cabinet
    No regard Protecting our Earth
    Not taking Intelligence Briefings

He is truly the wolf in Sheep’s clothing

You have help put a 5 yer old in the White House